Monday, August 27, 2007

What about Gavin?

I finally have my desk top back! This week is Jacob's first week without school and he had time to fix my computer. The funny thing is that I had gotten used to the mac notebook and I have to get used to the PC all over again.

Gavin has grown a lot lately, and I know I say that often - for someone his age it is what is supposed to happen - but it never stops amazing me when he can't do something one minute and can the next. One of the cute things he started is that if you tell him good job he claps for himslef -adorable! He is really into getting into or onto things. He learned how to get into his toy box by himself (something he loves to do) and he also learned to get out of the bathtub on his own. That one scared me because I turned to get his towel and he jumped out of the tub while my back was turned. I was worried he would slip and fall but he made it. He also learned to jump off of furniture and I'm not too thrilled with that. At his age he has no understanding of hurting himself and that worries me. Luckily he seems to understand that is a serious no no and I haven't seen him do it in a few days. One of the funnier things he is trying to do is to jump over things. He first started it with his rocking bug- he would dive over it from one side to the other (what a boy thing to do) and today he started to 'jump' over Jacob. It was on of the funniest things I have ever seen. Jacob was laying on his side and Gavin would do a little bounce and then just dive over him. We think he thought he was jumping but it looked more like falling to us. I went to get it on camera but the batteries were dead :( I was so sad because it truly was hilarious and I hope he does it again. He did a much more successful jump over Jacob's legs (he did a bounce before he just stepped over them) and Jacob got excited and said he would be a hurdler someday. We'll see.

He has also started mmmm-ing (is that a word?) when ever he takes a bite of something. No matter what he takes a bite of he mmm's like it's the best thing. It reminds me of the scene from the movie What About Bob where they are at the dinner table and Bob thinks everything is good and mmmm's alot. In my family that is a classic scene and it makes Gavin doing it that much more funny. (I'm going to try to get that on video also)

When my parents came they brought Gavin various toys and one of them is a simple board with pegs that you hammer from one side to another. My mom got it because she thought Gavin would like to bang on it and he LOVES this toy. He uses the hammer occasionally but mostly he will just push the pegs flat on one side with his fingers then flip it and do it again. He will do this forever! Sometimes he wants me to do it with him and I don't mind admitting that it bores me to tears but for whatever reason he can not get enough of it. He loves it so much that he sleeps with it, sometimes clutching a peg in his hand. I don't get the appeal but I'm glad it keeps him busy for so long.

And finally..... Gavin is saying mom! It took forever but he finally decided to say it. I'm not 100% sure if he knows it is my name or just something to do with me but it doesn't matter, it's just nice to hear.








I love this picture











making one of his 'infamous' calls (people answer and hear heavy breathing and/or baby gibberish)




what a cheesy grin